Now that the holiday and end-of-year busyness is over, I can post some photos I’ve been sitting on. I made these ombré French knot pendants as winter gifts for several people, and now that the gifts have been given to the recipients, I can post the photos online. Woo.
I started by tracing the inner edge of the pendant frame on some cloth and dividing each into 3 or 4 sections, depending on how many colors I was working with (3 shades for the orange and blue pendants, 4 for the purple and green). These lines gave me a rough idea of where to change to the next shade of embroidery thread.
The pendants were made by filling in each segment with French knots. Working a few knots in each color above and below the divider line made for a more blended ombré (the exception being the blue pendant, as the shades were more diverse and has a more segmented look).
After the embroidery for each was complete, I removed the fabric from the hoop and carefully cut out each pendant piece, leaving enough of an edge of fabric to wrap around the frame pendant piece. The frame pendants were easy to work with, assembling quickly and held in place with 3 prongs on the back of the frame.
Finished piece. The green one looks like moss.
All of the pendants, together.
This was good practice in working French knots. At the start of the project, I wasn’t sure if I had difficulty with French knots (they seem to be tricky for many people), but definitely have a lot more experience with French knots now! Haha… For anyone wanting to create a similar project, or simply improve their French knot skills, there is an excellent tutorial at Sublime Stitching.
Four days into 2016, and it’s time for the obligatory New Year post, albeit a little late.
I haven’t done as much reflecting on 2015 as I probably should. It’s nice to have the blog to go back through older posts to see what I was up to throughout the year. Definitely more motivation to try to keep the blog updated more regularly.
This year, according to the blog (not a comprehensive review):
- Around the start of the year (technically in the December of the previous year), I finished making the squares for the Cabled Afghan Knit-Along. I have yet to sew these squares together into the blanket. Eeesh.
- Also at the start of the year, I cast on for making the Featherweight Cardigan. I have yet to finish this project. (I’m already sensing a theme here…)
- I created a digital drawing that I converted into an embroidery piece. I did finish the embroidery, but did not document it here. And, really, the piece needs a good ironing and still needs to be framed. Continuing the “not quite finished” trend…
- I needlefelted a penguin — first and only needlefelting project so far. I enjoyed needlefelting, might try it again in the future. The penguin suffered a sad fate, when the cats decided that he was their toy and has since then been chewed to bits.
- I successfully completed A Month of Letters Challenge and International Correspondence Writing Month in February! I plan to try to do this again this year.
- I started, and abandoned 30 Days of Lists. I partially did not finish this challenge because the lists were becoming increasingly more personal and I did not want to revisit or share some of these memories publicly.
- I got back into needle tatting; I started making a pair of needle tatted barefoot sandals, making all the pieces, but not assembling them. All the parts are somewhere in the apartment… Also, a needle tatted choker that was started, and turned into an unfinished project.
- I started my Fleegle heel socks, working toe-up. I made each sock until they reached about mid-calf, before realizing that I probably need to undo them a bit and add calf increases, if I want to keep knitting them taller. Another unfinished project.
- I GOT KITTENS! Which, have increasingly hampered my ability to make things, as they like to get into nonsense and wander across whatever I am working on.
- The kittens also chewed a hole in the Mirkwood Shawl, the complicated beaded lace shawl that I started in June, with the hope of finishing it in time to wear to my sister’s wedding in September. While I made a great amount of progress, the kitten-chewed-hole caused the project to get derailed and did not finish in time. It is still languishing in my project drawer, waiting for me to pick it back up and finish it.
- I completed Drawlloween 2015, making a tiny-tiny drawing for each daily prompt.
- I finally finished my Les Misérables wrap; it is tremendously long and I wore it several times before the weather warmed up too much to warrant wearing it. Now that the weather is getting more wintery, perhaps I will have more opportunity to wear it!
- I did some gift-making, which I was unable to document, as they were to be surprises for the recipients. Now that gift-giving season is over, I can showcase them. Woo.
So, in reviewing the year, lots of making: knitting, crochet, embroidery/cross-stitch, drawing, letter-writing, calligraphy, general crafting and DIY. I am finding that I do like starting projects, but often run into issues finishing them.
Hence, my “resolutions” for 2016:
- make time to work on projects.
- finish the projects that are waiting to be completed.
- update the blog more often!
- actually do the courses that I’ve purchased from Craftsy, Skillshare, and Creativebug.
Those are pretty much my goals for every year. Make more things. *wink*