Since the beginning of June, I have been putting together a class I will be launching July 1. In my spare moments, I have been spent crafting, filming, and editing. I decided to teach how to make the French knot pendants as my first class. Of course, the only problem is that… they make such great gifts, I gave them all away! Time to make more — and document the process for the class.
This challenge is proving interesting. I’ve had to conquer my camera-shyness (totally fine for self-portraits, a whole ‘nother story when it’s moving and talking on camera). It’s also forced me to brush up on my video editing skills; I haven’t done any video editing in… ten years?! Luckily in the challenge, the month is broken down into milestones, so that each section of work seems much more achievable. I’m still in the process of making the pendants, and filming/editing where I can, but I’m thinking that it will be able to come together in time. Launching July first!
As my sister and her husband are now off in Tahiti for their honeymoon, I am reminded that I never posted pictures of the last-minute wedding cake toppers I made for them.
We spent the last day or two before the wedding setting up the table cards and various other last minute things. Their wedding had different themed tables based on their interests and games they liked to play. The wedding party table was themed Spaceteam.
If you’re not familiar with it, Spaceteam is a collaborative mobile game where the players attempt to keep their spaceship running by relaying commands on their screens to fellow players. It is quite fun. And shouty.
And, there was a secret mode created, used in their proposal. D’awww…
I believe Laura had intended to make the toppers herself, but as time was short and there were a million other things for the bride to do, I stepped in to make the toppers. The materials supplied were foam sheets, glue, x-acto knife, and skewers.
It was a bit of a last minute rush, so they aren’t nearly as polished as I would have wanted them to turn out (perfectionist!), but the bride was tickled by them. That’s a win in my book! I don’t think I have any pictures of them on the cake. Hm… Probably some more pictures of them somewhere.
I hope that they are enjoying their honeymoon in Tahiti!
I received a mass of files from my very old computer circa 2004-2006; it’s like a weird nostalgic treasure-trove of projects from a decade ago. Most of the images are so tiny and low-res, or odd filetypes, or don’t even open anymore.
I had an interactive digital portfolio from back in the day (doesn’t actually show a lot of work; the project was actually to make the interactive aspect); I wish I could do a walkthrough of it, perhaps if I’m ever able to open it (it was made in Macromedia Director… I know, right?)
It was abandoned insane asylum themed, complete with crows cawing, electricity crackling, and mysterious creaking doors. Digitally scribble-drawn scenescapes, spattered with grit and grime, and your choice of 4 appropriately eerie songs to accompany your stay. A suspicious-looking service elevator transports you to the different levels of the asylum, featuring small galleries of photography and videos.
The whole ever-so-spooky thing kind of makes me giggle now… but also makes me wistful for the days that I actually MADE things. I need to squeeze more time for making things into my life. Photography, stop motion videos, animation, sculpture, drawing… I miss actually doing stuff.
Plus, I found some old files from when I was first learning 3D Maya (oh dear, that was a decade ago). I was making chess pieces based on the zodiac symbols. I remember I had some sort of system for which symbols I chose for the pieces… but I think the reasoning behind assigning Pisces, is evident in the filename: FISHOP. *bah dum tchiss*
Now that the holiday and end-of-year busyness is over, I can post some photos I’ve been sitting on. I made these ombré French knot pendants as winter gifts for several people, and now that the gifts have been given to the recipients, I can post the photos online. Woo.
I started by tracing the inner edge of the pendant frame on some cloth and dividing each into 3 or 4 sections, depending on how many colors I was working with (3 shades for the orange and blue pendants, 4 for the purple and green). These lines gave me a rough idea of where to change to the next shade of embroidery thread.
The pendants were made by filling in each segment with French knots. Working a few knots in each color above and below the divider line made for a more blended ombré (the exception being the blue pendant, as the shades were more diverse and has a more segmented look).
After the embroidery for each was complete, I removed the fabric from the hoop and carefully cut out each pendant piece, leaving enough of an edge of fabric to wrap around the frame pendant piece. The frame pendants were easy to work with, assembling quickly and held in place with 3 prongs on the back of the frame.
Finished piece. The green one looks like moss.
All of the pendants, together.
This was good practice in working French knots. At the start of the project, I wasn’t sure if I had difficulty with French knots (they seem to be tricky for many people), but definitely have a lot more experience with French knots now! Haha… For anyone wanting to create a similar project, or simply improve their French knot skills, there is an excellent tutorial at Sublime Stitching.
This post was saved in my drafts and published, so here it is:
As I mentioned at the end of the last post, I am participating in this round of Snail Mail My Email.
The first request was simply one word, so I decided to cross-stitch it on some Aida cloth before popping it in an envelope and sending it through the mail.