Eeeek! There are only 9 days left in the Skillshare challenge!
I need to finish making the pendants. Looks like I’m only going to have 2 completed pendants — I finished the violet one last night, and I’m almost done with the orange pendant. I had hoped to make pendants for the wooden frames as well, but time is running out. I’m at the point where I need to finish the pendants before I can film any more, and then get the footage edited and completed ASAP. Eeek.
My Skillshare project (the project of making the class) has gotten 25 likes! Hopefully I can get as many students within the first month.
In-progress pendant for my upcoming Skillshare class.
And more orts jar pictures, of course. Because orts jars are lovely.
And, as I’ve been editing the video files for teaching my class, it became quickly apparent that I never really fully learned the whole “don’t play with scissors”…
Skillshare is having a June Teach Challenge.
Since the beginning of June, I have been putting together a class I will be launching July 1. In my spare moments, I have been spent crafting, filming, and editing. I decided to teach how to make the French knot pendants as my first class. Of course, the only problem is that… they make such great gifts, I gave them all away! Time to make more — and document the process for the class.
This challenge is proving interesting. I’ve had to conquer my camera-shyness (totally fine for self-portraits, a whole ‘nother story when it’s moving and talking on camera). It’s also forced me to brush up on my video editing skills; I haven’t done any video editing in… ten years?! Luckily in the challenge, the month is broken down into milestones, so that each section of work seems much more achievable. I’m still in the process of making the pendants, and filming/editing where I can, but I’m thinking that it will be able to come together in time. Launching July first!
Now that the holiday and end-of-year busyness is over, I can post some photos I’ve been sitting on. I made these ombré French knot pendants as winter gifts for several people, and now that the gifts have been given to the recipients, I can post the photos online. Woo.
I started by tracing the inner edge of the pendant frame on some cloth and dividing each into 3 or 4 sections, depending on how many colors I was working with (3 shades for the orange and blue pendants, 4 for the purple and green). These lines gave me a rough idea of where to change to the next shade of embroidery thread.
The pendants were made by filling in each segment with French knots. Working a few knots in each color above and below the divider line made for a more blended ombré (the exception being the blue pendant, as the shades were more diverse and has a more segmented look).
After the embroidery for each was complete, I removed the fabric from the hoop and carefully cut out each pendant piece, leaving enough of an edge of fabric to wrap around the frame pendant piece. The frame pendants were easy to work with, assembling quickly and held in place with 3 prongs on the back of the frame.
Finished piece. The green one looks like moss.
All of the pendants, together.
This was good practice in working French knots. At the start of the project, I wasn’t sure if I had difficulty with French knots (they seem to be tricky for many people), but definitely have a lot more experience with French knots now! Haha… For anyone wanting to create a similar project, or simply improve their French knot skills, there is an excellent tutorial at Sublime Stitching.
This post was saved in my drafts and published, so here it is:
As I mentioned at the end of the last post, I am participating in this round of Snail Mail My Email.
The first request was simply one word, so I decided to cross-stitch it on some Aida cloth before popping it in an envelope and sending it through the mail.
It’s not really a secret… it’s more of a surprise.
It’s that time of year, to be working on gifts for friends and family. And since, well, I know of at least ONE person (hi, Laura!) who reads this blog, I can’t show what I’m working on here. YET.
But I can show my orts jar! (Orts are the little leftover bits of thread trimmed from embroidery projects).
There’s not too much in the jar right now, but Árnyék and Zaka kept trying to eat the thread bits, so made an orts jar to keep them out of reach.
The project itself is going along swimmingly. Lots of practice in making French knots. (Ooooh, a hint!) Looking forward to sharing them on the blog soon, after gift-giving season is over.
In other news, I have signed up to be a mail artist volunteer for Snail Mail My Email. The project is live this week, so hopefully I will soon receive emails to make into beautiful letters. Quick turnaround — I believe they need to be mailed out by the this Friday — so hopefully this will be the kick-in-the-pants I need to make some more stuff. Branch out and experiment a little. Looking forward to it. Yay.
So close to getting done! Though, I realized that I don’t have the right colors for finishing her face.. since I think that her lips and eyes will be colored (no longer just black & white!). We’ll see how I like it.
She’s coming along. Might be able to finish her in the next few days or so.
There has been more progress since this picture, but the pictures didn’t turn out very well (since she is now very wrinkly with hoop-outlines). I can’t wait til this stage is done so I can smooth her out with some ironing.