I originally designed it with a certain number of row repeats for Part A of the pattern. The knitting math was lovely and worked out well with the rest of the elements of the shawl. (v01)
Then I decided that the shawl was growing larger more quickly than I expected, so I reduced the number of row repeats, calling for adjusting the rest of the pattern to make it work well together. (v02)
Then I misread how I was keeping track of the sections (Original Set plus the Repeats vs. Total Number of Sections) — whoops! — so I ended up with one more additional section than I was expecting. Okay. Adjusted pattern accordingly. (v03)
Then I was worried that the shawl actually was smaller than I was expecting, so I decided to go with the original number of repeats. Back to First Draft. (v01)
Then… I got nervous about running out of yarn. Reduced Part B row repeats. (v04)
Still nervous — reduced Part A repeats (less than what I had already knit), and ripped out about 30 rows of knitting. Always a bit of a nerve-wracking to take hundreds of stitches off the needles and pull the loose thread and watch it unravel hours of work. Back to v03.
Feeling better about the changes in the pattern vs. the amount of yarn left. Started into second repeat of Part B.
Got nervous again. Rip back Part B-Repeat 2 rows, and adjust pattern again (v05).
Finally, finally feeling in a good spot with the pattern vs. the amount of yarn I have left, and the layout of the design. I probably did have enough for 2 repeats of Part B, but I didn’t want to risk it — it would probably also mean unraveling my gauge swatch to use that yarn, and I still need to block and measure the swatch. Plus, I don’t want anyone making the pattern to have to buy a whole other skein for just a few yards, if they use up yarn at a slightly different rate.
I have 8 more rows, binding off, and then blocking! Phototshoot on Saturday!