Tag: self-portrait

kira makes more edits to her design

Cyntaf Yarn Ball

So, Cyntaf.

I originally designed it with a certain number of row repeats for Part A of the pattern. The knitting math was lovely and worked out well with the rest of the elements of the shawl. (v01)

Then I decided that the shawl was growing larger more quickly than I expected, so I reduced the number of row repeats, calling for adjusting the rest of the pattern to make it work well together. (v02)

Then I misread how I was keeping track of the sections (Original Set plus the Repeats vs. Total Number of Sections) — whoops! — so I ended up with one more additional section than I was expecting. Okay. Adjusted pattern accordingly. (v03)

Then I was worried that the shawl actually was smaller than I was expecting, so I decided to go with the original number of repeats. Back to First Draft. (v01)

Then… I got nervous about running out of yarn. Reduced Part B row repeats. (v04)

Still nervous — reduced Part A repeats (less than what I had already knit), and ripped out about 30 rows of knitting. Always a bit of a nerve-wracking to take hundreds of stitches off the needles and pull the loose thread and watch it unravel hours of work. Back to v03.

Feeling better about the changes in the pattern vs. the amount of yarn left. Started into second repeat of Part B.

Got nervous again. Rip back Part B-Repeat 2 rows, and adjust pattern again (v05).

Finally, finally feeling in a good spot with the pattern vs. the amount of yarn I have left, and the layout of the design. I probably did have enough for 2 repeats of Part B, but I didn’t want to risk it — it would probably also mean unraveling my gauge swatch to use that yarn, and I still need to block and measure the swatch. Plus, I don’t want anyone making the pattern to have to buy a whole other skein for just a few yards, if they use up yarn at a slightly different rate.

I have 8 more rows, binding off, and then blocking! Phototshoot on Saturday!

-x

kira makes Little Arrowhead Shawl, revisited

The weather lately has been indecisive.

First it’s warm and Spring-like (even sometimes downright hot), but then it will switch and turn chilly. In order to combat the fickleness of the changing season, I’ve taken to wearing my Little Arrowhead Shawl.

Despite having made it in… late 2012?, I hadn’t really worn it often. I think it was my first (or possibly second) lace shawl. I like lace shawls, conceptually and in the creation process, but hadn’t quite figured out how to wear them.

Previously, I only had pictures of the shawl from when it was blocking: Attempt #1, where the bind-off edge was too tight, and Ziggy was “helping”; and Attempt #2, after I re-worked the bind-off edge, and re-blocked it (sans-Ziggy).

But since I was wearing it fairly often, I finally snapped a pic of the shawl being worn.

Little Arrowhead Shawl

This shawl has been great for the fluctuating temperatures. It is warm, but not too warm. The yarn is smooth and soft. It is a now-discontinued DK yarn (Spa) from the Naturally Caron line from Caron, made of microdenier acrylic and rayon from bamboo. I have another skein of this yarn in pale yellow (Soft Sunshine), that now I am pondering working up into another lace shawl, since I’ve been wearing this one so much lately.

Sooo, I pull up Ravelry, and look at my options. I immediately spot one that looks good… and see that it is the Little Arrowhead Shawl pattern, again. Hah.. well, apparently I know what I like. But, I want to try another pattern, since I’ve already made that one. Variety!

Soooooo, I browse other options of thicker weight lace shawls, because I want to use bigger needles and take a break from laceweight and sockweight yarns. Looking at patterns until it dawns on me: I COULD MAKE MY OWN PATTERN for a lace triangle shawl.

WAIT, brain. What? Stopppp! …not only are you not supposed to be starting yet another project, but… designing one?

Needless to say.. I’m totally planning on looking through my lace stitch dictionaries when I get home.

(Not like I don’t already have a lace shawl on the needles (*cough*Mirkwood*cough*)… But this one would be a much quicker knit! I haven’t really picked Mirkwood back up since the cat-astrohpe. One day I’ll get around to finishing it. One day…)

-x

kira makes a visit to the asylum

I received a mass of files from my very old computer circa 2004-2006; it’s like a weird nostalgic treasure-trove of projects from a decade ago. Most of the images are so tiny and low-res, or odd filetypes, or don’t even open anymore.

Slide

ritual

mist

I had an interactive digital portfolio from back in the day (doesn’t actually show a lot of work; the project was actually to make the interactive aspect); I wish I could do a walkthrough of it, perhaps if I’m ever able to open it (it was made in Macromedia Director… I know, right?)

It was abandoned insane asylum themed, complete with crows cawing, electricity crackling, and mysterious creaking doors. Digitally scribble-drawn scenescapes, spattered with grit and grime, and your choice of 4 appropriately eerie songs to accompany your stay. A suspicious-looking service elevator transports you to the different levels of the asylum, featuring small galleries of photography and videos.

Asylum

The whole ever-so-spooky thing kind of makes me giggle now… but also makes me wistful for the days that I actually MADE things. I need to squeeze more time for making things into my life. Photography, stop motion videos, animation, sculpture, drawing… I miss actually doing stuff.

Plus, I found some old files from when I was first learning 3D Maya (oh dear, that was a decade ago). I was making chess pieces based on the zodiac symbols. I remember I had some sort of system for which symbols I chose for the pieces… but I think the reasoning behind assigning Pisces, is evident in the filename: FISHOP. *bah dum tchiss*

-x